Position: Analyst/Sr. Analyst
Smarty Pants only hires leaders or leaders in training. This position is for the latter–a strong up-and-comer with solid research skills and drive for excellence.
Candidates must have a strong quantitative research background and be an eager marketing expert in the making. Candidates with experience in qualitative methods as well are preferred; however, those with only quantitative experience will be considered assuming a desire and aptitude to learn various methods.
More specifically, candidates for this position must:
• Hold a minimum of a bachelors degree (advanced degree is preferred)
• Have three or more years of primary research experience from an agency, research firm or consultancy
• Have a solid understanding of survey research design, fielding, data processing and analysis
• Be able to author a survey, manage a field team, read and quality control data tables, extract insights from raw data, and visually bring those insights to life in creative ways
• Be savvy in Word, PPT, Excel (SPSS and Wincross are bonuses)
• Be meticulous, pay close attention to detail
• Quickly and easily perform the aforementioned duties with minimal oversight from project leader
• Demonstrate self-discipline, a good work ethic, passion, commitment/drive
• Have good people/business intuition
• Be eager and open to guidance while becoming more research proficient and learning the Smarty Pants way
Smarty Pants also prefers candidates with:
• An advanced degree in a relevant field
• Professional experience with Fortune 500 clients
• Cross category experience in media, food/beverage, CPG, toy/game, apparel, retail, etc.
• Experience in the youth and family space
Specific responsibilities include:
• Drafting and implementing surveys (~20%)
o Participate in client calls to create survey outlines
o Create survey drafts from approved outlines with an eye for how data points will ultimately be used in reporting
o Work on, manage revisions of and ultimately finalize surveys
o Manage survey length and make recommendations to ensure correct parameters are met
o Work with programming and data processing partner to ensure accuracy of these outsourced responsibilities
• Assisting with data processing and accuracy (~15%)
o Create first drafts of banners and tab plans
o Check crosstabs to ensure accuracy/proper set-up
• Analyzing data and drafting reports (~30%)
o Create report outlines with support of project leader and in conjunction with qualitative-focused colleagues (as appropriate)
o Author first drafts of actual reports based on approved outlines
o Work within the Smarty Pants PPT template to create visually engaging reports
• Telling stories with data – via charting and other visual displays of data (~20%)
o Determine which data points are most compelling and how to best illustrate the learning
o Create compelling charts and other visuals
o Ensure charts and data support the overall report “story”
• Managing project tasks (~10%)
o Create project timelines and help ensure projects stay on-schedule
o Proofread documents for other team members
• Interfacing with clients (~5%)
o Participate in any/all project related calls
o Communicate with clients regarding project updates and status
This is a full-time salaried position with generous benefits. Salary is commensurate with the level and experience of the candidate.
Candidate location is not important, as the employee will work remotely. East coast hours are 9-5pm; west coast hours are 7-3pm. Smarty Pants is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Smarty Pants
Smarty Pants is a full-service market research and strategic consulting firm dedicated to helping the world’s best product developers and marketers understand and connect with babies, kids, tweens, teens, young adults, parents and grandparents. In short, we are lifestage experts, business consultants and research practitioners.
Since 2004 Smarty Pants has excelled at gathering game-changing consumer insights and helping our clients translate those insights into smarter products, programs and communications. We now work with and employ only the best and brightest, as is evidenced in our client roster and our team bios.
As a full-service partner to our clients we:
• Serve as strategic consultants–educating and guiding them on youth and family trends, marketing strategies, best practices, etc.
• Design rigorous research programs to meet their unique informational needs
• Execute those initiatives with our own industry-leading qualitative and quantitative research professionals
• Carefully aggregate and analyze findings, layering on our collective wisdom
• Create visually-compelling deliverables that energize and inspire
• Help our clients apply the learning to their business challenges
We are a virtual organization that collaborates and functions as a cohesive, tech-connected team. But don’t worry: we regularly get face time with peers at company meetings and while traveling to research and/or clients’ offices.
Working remotely allows us to hire the nation’s best talent and to do what our clients demand–travel, think, write and create. We are lean and highly efficient. We work hard, love what we do for a living, and have strong relationships with the ones we do it alongside. We are a happy, loyal team dedicated to creating happy, loyal clients.
As our company continues to grow, we need bright minds to help us tackle the day-to-day business of fielding great research for our clients and bringing consumer insights to life. We’re looking for a “doer” with leader potential to join our team.
Serious, qualified applicants should send cover note, resume and work samples/portfolio (links are fine) to Meredith Franck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone and/or in-person interviews will be a part of the candidate review process, as will written skill assessment. Lead candidates will also be assigned at least one project-specific challenge to assess research prowess and efficiency.