(reporting to Director or Vice President)
Smarty Pants is a full-service market research and strategic consulting firm dedicated to helping the world’s best product developers and marketers understand and connect with consumers across lifestages and generations. From babies to grandparents, we are segment and industry experts, business consultants and research practitioners.
Since 2004 Smarty Pants has excelled at gathering game-changing consumer insights and helping our clients translate those insights into smarter products, programs and communications. We now work with and employ only the best and brightest, as is evidenced in our client roster and our team bios.
As a full-service partner to our clients we:
▪ Serve as strategic consultants – educating and guiding them on youth and family trends, marketing strategies, best practices, etc.
▪ Design rigorous research programs to meet their unique informational needs
▪ Execute those initiatives with our own industry-leading qualitative, quantitative and hybrid research professionals
▪ Carefully aggregate and analyze findings, layering on our collective wisdom
▪ Create visually-compelling deliverables that energize and inspire
▪ Help our clients apply the learning to their business challenges
We are a virtual organization that collaborates and functions as a cohesive, tech-connected team. But don’t worry…we hold company-wide events at least twice a year and regularly get face time with peers while traveling to research and/or clients’ offices.
Working remotely allows us to hire the nation’s best talent and do what our clients demand – travel, think, write and create. We are lean and highly efficient. We work hard, love what we do for a living and have strong relationships with the ones we do it alongside. We are a happy, loyal team dedicated to creating happy, loyal clients.
As our company continues to grow, we need bright minds to help us tackle the day-to-day business of fielding great research for our clients and bringing consumer insights to life. We’re looking for an experienced “doer” who can also lead to join our team.
Smarty Pants only hires leaders or leaders in training. This position is for the former – a strong leader who acts as a true partner and consultant to their clients.
Candidates must be a strong quantitative and/or qualitative researcher who collaborates with clients to help design, execute, and report on multi-phased (and often global) mixed-method initiatives. They must have a deep and wide understanding of “old-school” and tech-driven methods.
More specifically, candidates for this position must:
▪ Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
▪ Have seven or more years of primary research experience with an agency, research firm or consultancy
▪ Seamlessly manage research set-up and project management for qualitative and quantitative initiatives
▪ Fluently and creatively design research tools including quant tools such as: questionnaires, sample plans and banner plans; and qual tools such as: discussion and activity guides, screeners and digital diary assignments
▪ Masterfully weave impactful and insight-driven stories from qualitative and quantitative data and findings
▪ Creatively design and execute methods that are customized for the life stage of the target audience
▪ Be able to create sizzling-hot, compelling PPT reports/presentations
▪ Demonstrate self-discipline, a good work ethic, passion, commitment/drive
▪ Be an amazing thinker, writer and presenter
▪ Have good people/business intuition
▪ Be able to travel regularly
Smarty Pants also prefers candidates with:
▪ An advanced degree in a relevant field
▪ Professional experience with Fortune 500 clients
▪ Cross-category experience in gaming, entertainment, media, food/beverage, CPG, toy/game, apparel, retail, healthcare or insurance.
Specific responsibilities include:
▪ Drafting proposals (~20%)
o Participate in client calls to understand needs, challenges and outcomes
o Collaborate with team to create research programs that meet objectives using appropriate and innovative approaches
o Create proposals that bring research programs to life and make a strong case for “why Smarty Pants”
o Work on, manage revisions of, and ultimately finalize proposals to secure/win projects
▪ Manage qualitative projects (~25%)
o Ensure project logistics are secure
o Develop project documents (screeners, guides, etc.)
o Execute qualitative research (e.g.: moderating, interviewing, observing, etc.)
o Travel to conduct in-person fieldwork/moderate (or execute online, when appropriate)
o Supervise support team/vendors and work-directly with clients while in the field
▪ Manage quantitative projects (~25%)
o Ensure project logistics are secure
o Develop project documents (questionnaires, banner plans, etc.)
o Oversee programming and fielding (e.g.: managing vendors, checking soft-launch data)
▪ Crafting and telling compelling stories (~30%)
o Analyze and review data to pull key themes, insights and data to support central stories
o Collaborate with team to develop topline reports and report outlines
o Curate supporting photos, quotes, videos and artifacts to build into reports
o Create compelling report visuals within Smarty Pants and client-provided templates
o Ensure all learning supports the overall report “story”
o Confidently present reports via conference calls, web-based presentations and in-person meetings
o Field and address client questions and comments that may come out of reports and presentations
This is a full-time salaried position with generous benefits. Salary is commensurate with the level and experience of the candidate.
Candidate location is not important, as the employee will work remotely. East coast hours are 9am-5pm; west coast hours are 7am-3pm. Work after hours and/or on weekends is sometimes necessary. Work is typically team-based and requires dialogue with colleagues (via email, phone and video) throughout the day.
Smarty Pants provides all office hardware, software, equipment and supplies.
Smarty Pants is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants are considered for positions and evaluated without regard to mental or physical ability, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, ancestry, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or other categories protected by law.
Serious, qualified applicants should send cover note, resume and work samples/portfolio through the following link: https://smartypants.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=28
Interviews by phone and/or video (and in-person, where possible) will be a part of the candidate review process, as will written skill assessment and a video submission. Lead candidates will also be assigned at least one project-specific challenge to assess research prowess and efficiency.
Candidates will be assessed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as the match is right.