Smarty Pants is a full-service market research and strategic consulting firm dedicated to helping the world’s best product developers and marketers understand and connect with consumers across lifestages and generations. From babies to grandparents, we are segment and industry experts, business consultants and research practitioners.
Since 2004 Smarty Pants has excelled at gathering game-changing consumer insights and helping our clients translate those insights into smarter products, programs and communications. We now work with and employ only the best and brightest, as is evidenced in our client roster and our team bios.
As a full-service partner to our clients we:
▪ Serve as strategic consultants – educating and guiding them on youth and family trends, marketing strategies, best practices, etc.
▪ Design rigorous research programs to meet their unique informational needs
▪ Execute those initiatives with our own industry-leading qualitative, quantitative and hybrid research professionals
▪ Carefully aggregate and analyze findings, layering on our collective wisdom
▪ Create visually-compelling deliverables that energize and inspire
▪ Help our clients apply the learning to their business challenges
We are a virtual organization that collaborates and functions as a cohesive, tech-connected team. But don’t worry…we hold company-wide events at least twice a year and regularly get face time with peers while traveling to research and/or clients’ offices.
Working remotely allows us to hire the nation’s best talent and do what our clients demand – travel, think, write and create. We are lean and highly efficient. We work hard, love what we do for a living and have strong relationships with the ones we do it alongside. We are a happy, loyal team dedicated to creating happy, loyal clients.
As our company continues to grow, we need bright minds to help us tackle the day-to-day business of fielding great research for our clients and bringing consumer insights to life. We’re looking for an experienced “doer” who can also lead to join our team.
Smarty Pants only hires leaders or leaders in training. This position is for the former – a strong leader who acts as a true partner and consultant to their clients.
Candidates must be a strong quantitative and/or qualitative researcher who collaborates with clients to help design, execute, and report on multi-phased (and often global) mixed-method initiatives. They must have a deep and wide understanding of “old-school” and tech-driven methods.
More specifically, candidates for this position must:
▪ Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
▪ Have seven or more years of primary research experience with an agency, research firm or consultancy
▪ Be able to effectively partner with clients, understanding their businesses, offering research solutions that get the learning they need and consult with them on an ongoing basis
▪ Have a solid understanding of survey research design, fielding, data processing and analysis
▪ Be able to independently author a survey, manage a field team, read and quality control datatables, extract insights from raw data and visually bring those insights to life in creative ways
▪ Be savvy in Word, PPT, Excel (SPSS is a bonus)
▪ Be able to create sizzling-hot, compelling PPT reports/presentations
▪ Be meticulous and pay close attention to detail
▪ Have the ability to craft reports that integrate the input and feedback of other team members
▪ Demonstrate self-discipline, a good work ethic, passion, commitment/drive
▪ Have good people/business intuition
▪ Be an amazing thinker, writer and presenter
▪ Be eager and open to feedback while honing skills and learning the Smarty Pants way
Smarty Pants also prefers candidates with:
▪ An advanced degree in a relevant field
▪ Professional experience with Fortune 500 clients
▪ Cross-category experience in gaming, entertainment, media, food/beverage, CPG, toy/game, apparel, retail, etc.
▪ Experience in the youth and family space
Specific responsibilities include:
▪ Partnering with clients
o Truly understanding their business, goals and research objectives
o Lead any/all project related calls
o Communicate with clients regarding project updates and status
▪ Drafting proposals
o Lead calls with clients and prospects
o Design research studies that best meet client needs
o Work with vendors to get accurate, thorough bids
o Create proposal drafts and manage revisions
▪ Managing project tasks
o Create project timelines and ensure projects stay on-schedule
o Proofread documents for other team members
▪ Drafting and implementing surveys
o Participate in client calls to create survey outlines
o Create survey drafts from approved outlines with an eye for how data points will ultimately be used in reporting
o Work on, manage revisions of and ultimately finalize surveys
o Manage survey length and make recommendations to ensure correct parameters are met
o Work with programming and data processing partners to ensure accuracy of outsourced responsibilities
▪ Processing data
o Create first drafts of banner plans and tab plans
o Check crosstabs to ensure accuracy/proper set-up
o Conduct data manipulation where appropriate
▪ Analyzing data and drafting reports
o Create report outlines in conjunction with qualitative-leaning colleagues (as appropriate)
o Author first drafts of reports based on approved outlines and manage report revisions
o Work within the Smarty Pants PPT template to create visually engaging reports
▪ Telling stories with data via charting and other visual displays of data
o Determine which data points are most compelling and how to best illustrate the learning
o Create compelling charts and other visuals
o Ensure charts and data support the overall report “story”
This is a full-time salaried position with generous benefits. Salary is commensurate with the level and experience of the candidate.
Candidate location is not important, as the employee will work remotely. East coast hours are 9am-5pm; west coast hours are 7am-3pm. Work after hours and/or on weekends is sometimes necessary. Work is typically team-based and requires dialogue with colleagues (via email, phone and video) throughout the day.
Smarty Pants provides all office hardware, software, equipment and supplies.
Smarty Pants is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants are considered for positions and evaluated without regard to mental or physical ability, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, ancestry, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or other categories protected by law.
Serious, qualified applicants should send cover note, resume and work samples/portfolio through the following link: https://smartypants.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27
Interviews by phone and/or video (and in-person, where possible) will be a part of the candidate review process, as will written skill assessment and a video submission. Lead candidates will also be assigned at least one project-specific challenge to assess research prowess and efficiency.
Candidates will be assessed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as the match is right.