Smarty Pants is a full-service market research and strategic consulting firm dedicated to helping the world’s best product developers and marketers understand and connect with consumers across lifestages and generations. From babies to grandparents, we are segment and industry experts, business consultants and research practitioners.
Since 2004 Smarty Pants has excelled at gathering game-changing consumer insights and helping our clients translate those insights into smarter products, programs and communications. We now work with and employ only the best and brightest, as is evidenced in our client roster and our team bios.
As a full-service partner to our clients we:
▪ Serve as strategic consultants – educating and guiding them on youth and family trends, marketing strategies, best practices, etc.
▪ Design rigorous research programs to meet their unique informational needs
▪ Execute those initiatives with our own industry-leading qualitative, quantitative and hybrid research professionals
▪ Carefully aggregate and analyze findings, layering on our collective wisdom
▪ Create visually-compelling deliverables that energize and inspire
▪ Help our clients apply the learning to their business challenges
We are a virtual organization that collaborates and functions as a cohesive, tech-connected team. But don’t worry…we hold company-wide events at least twice a year and regularly get face time with peers while traveling to research and/or clients’ offices.
Working remotely allows us to hire the nation’s best talent and do what our clients demand – travel, think, write and create. We are lean and highly efficient. We work hard, love what we do for a living and have strong relationships with the ones we do it alongside. We are a happy, loyal team dedicated to creating happy, loyal clients.
As our company continues to grow, we need bright minds to help us tackle the day-to-day business of fielding great research for our clients and bringing consumer insights to life. We’re looking for an experienced “doer” who can also lead to join our team.
Smarty Pants only hires leaders or leaders in training. This position is for the latter – a strong up-and-comer with drive, academic pedigree, and research curiosity.
This is an entry-level position, but candidates must have a desire and aptitude to support research, synthesize learnings, and (co-)create powerful deliverables that bring insights to life.
More specifically, candidates for this position must:
▪ Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
▪ Have a basic understanding of market research/marketing
▪ Have a strong creative eye and the ability to develop visually driven PPT slides
▪ Have experience conducting digital “desk research” and navigating secondary research sources
▪ Be meticulous, organized and able to juggle multiple tasks
▪ Demonstrate self-discipline, a good work ethic, passion, commitment/drive
▪ Be a great communicator – in-person, by phone and via email and webcam
▪ Have good people/business intuition
▪ Be able to effectively work remotely, but at a New York City tempo
▪ Be “plugged in” to pop culture, brands, trends, social media and current events
▪ Be tech and software savvy – particularly in Word, PPT, Excel, Outlook, Google
▪ Demonstrate an eagerness and openness to mentorship while becoming more research proficient and learning the Smarty Pants way
Smarty Pants also prefers candidates with:
▪ An advanced degree in a relevant field
▪ Academic and/or extra-curricular honors, awards, leadership
▪ Internships or professional experience with Fortune 500 companies
▪ Experience in the youth and family space and/or in categories such as toy/game, retail, food/beverage, health care, appeal, consumer products
▪ Creative capabilities (ability to create videos, infographics, consumer “stories,” etc.)
The associate role is typically characterized by:
▪ Research project support (≈ 45%)
o Listening in on and note taking during client calls
o Managing research logistics (info packets, market overviews/research)
o Creating project timelines and help ensure projects stay on-schedule
o Writing first drafts of recruitment screeners, research activities and topline reports
o Contacting vendors to secure bids
o Attending in-person (and virtual) research, when appropriate
o Entering, synthesizing, checking data
▪ Deliverables support (≈ 45%)
o Working within the Smarty Pants PPT template to create visually engaging proposals and reports
▪ Creating presentation slides from an outline
▪ Creating charts and other creative assets
o Compiling videos, pictures, and research artifacts
o Turning those assets into client-ready offerings
▪ Organizational support (≈ 10%)
o Handling misc. administrative tasks that support team and the whole organization
This is a full-time salaried position with generous benefits. Salary is commensurate with the level and experience of the candidate.
Candidate location is not important, as the employee will work remotely. East coast hours are 9am-5pm; west coast hours are 7am-3pm. Work after hours and/or on weekends is sometimes necessary. Work is typically team-based and requires dialogue with colleagues (via email, phone and video) throughout the day.
Smarty Pants provides all office hardware, software, equipment and supplies.
Smarty Pants is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants are considered for positions and evaluated without regard to mental or physical ability, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, ancestry, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or other categories protected by law.
Serious, qualified applicants should send cover note, resume and work samples/portfolio through the following link: https://smartypants.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=29
Interviews by phone and/or video (and in-person, where possible) will be a part of the candidate review process, as will written skill assessment and a video submission. Lead candidates will also be assigned at least one project-specific challenge to assess research prowess and efficiency.
Candidates will be assessed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as the match is right.